Welcome!
Thanks for visiting! Please leave us a comment as we love your feedback.
See where we are partying at the bottom and on the sidebar.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Religious Subway Art Tutorial

Before I got my Silhouette, I knew I would love to make some gifts that were subway art.  I have seen some beautiful and expensive ones at the stores, but I didn't want to spend that kind of money.  Now, that I have my Silhouette, I am in love with all that I can make!

My first big project was to make my Mother-in-law a Christmas gift.  I wanted to do something with the names of God.  I looked up all the various names of God (some in Hebrew and Greek) and verified them with my husband, a minister.  He got particular with me and told me some were names of Jesus, so I had to delete a few (now I have an idea for another gift though).   I had my names and idea for my project, I was now ready to get started.

Here is what I made:
Tutorial:

Supplies needed:
MDF board cut to preferred size or another type of wood board
Paint color of your choosing
foam brush to paint
Vinyl color of your choosing
Transfer tape
Silhouette machine or other cutting machine

Directions:
1.  Cut your board to the size necessary for your project.  Mine was 18 by 24.
2.  Paint the board in chosen color.  Sorry my color blended into my painting tablecloth.  Allow the board to dry overnight.
3. Cut your words in various fonts and sizes.  Remove excess vinyl.
4. Separate words from one another in order to arrange them on your board.  Move your words around to fit properly on the board.  Pay attention to size, thickness of letter and font.  You don't want all the cursive words or dark words in the same area.
5.  Once you have placed the words where they will go, use transfer tape to pick up the vinyl.
6. Take off the paper backing.  Place the transfer tape with vinyl attached on the board.
7. Rub with a scraper.  Peel off the transfer tape.  If you find the vinyl sticking, I have found it easier to put the scraper at the edge of where my tape is coming up.  This helps the vinyl adhere easier.
8. Repeat this process until all the words are on the board.
9.  Vinyl is very forgiving.  If you need to peel up a word or two to re-place, use your scraper to help you.

Here is my final product.  My Mother-in-law already received this, so I can share it!  I am glad she liked it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

2 comments:

  1. I love this!! What a great gift. I may have to make something like this. Thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best subway art yet! You "AMAZE ME"! Thank you for linking up to the "Amaze Me Monday" blog party!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! We read every comment and try to respond back if we can. Thank you for making us feel special with your thoughts!

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back