Welcome!
Thanks for visiting! Please leave us a comment as we love your feedback.
See where we are partying at the bottom and on the sidebar.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Banana Bread

The smell of Banana Bread baking in the oven is a childhood favorite of mine.  Now, I am bringing that same love of Banana Bread to my kids.  If you have notice from my Sourdough Bread and Zucchini Bread recipes, I like bread, especially if it is melt in your mouth goodness.

My Mom has made this recipe for as long as I can remember.  She makes it anytime our whole family is together.  The recipes makes two loaves and both will disappear as quickly as you make it.  My poor mother didn't have a chance to let the loaves fully cool before us kids took a piece or two.





Before I give you the recipe, I want to share some tips with you!

  • Did you know you can freeze bananas?  When your bananas get to the point where there too mushy to eat or almost time to pitch, put them in the freezer with the peel on.  When you are ready to put the bananas in a recipe, place them in the microwave to thaw and then just squeeze them out of the skin.  We can never eat bananas in time before they start to go bed so this is perfect for us not to be wasteful.
  • Buttermilk, do you keep it stocked in your refrigerator?  I sure don't.  When a recipe calls for buttermilk, take 1 cup of milk (thicker than skim works best) and add 1 tablespoon vinegar.  Allow it to sit (don't stir or mess with it, fight the temptation) for at least five minutes.  You will see it bubbling immediately.
  • Always test your bread with a cake tester or toothpick to insure that is cooked thoroughly.  I have looked and bread and was sure it was overcooking only to find it completely gooey inside.  While I will eat anything gooey, my family won't eat it.
  • Make sure to remove your bread from the pan when you take it out of the oven.  Allow it to cool on a cooling rack, otherwise it will continue to cook in the pan (or I use a bread stone).

Banana Bread

Makes 2 loaves

2 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup Crisco Shortening
2 eggs 
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk (substitute:  1 cup milk & 1 teaspoon vinegar)
4 to 5 ripe bananas, smashed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat eggs, sugar, shortening, and vanilla.  Mix dry ingredients together.  Add dry ingredients to sugar mixture half at a time.  Add buttermilk half at a time.  Stir in bananas.  Grease and flour two bread pans.  Pour in half of mixture into each pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for an hour.  Test for doneness with a cake tester or toothpick.  Cool on a cooling rack.  Eat a warm piece before anyone else!

This is a great fall recipe and is a no-fail gift to a friend or neighbor!

Enjoy!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1 comment:

  1. Banana bread is one of my favorites - thanks for the recipe. I think the secret to your recipe is the buttermilk - must try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! We read every comment and try to respond back if we can. Thank you for making us feel special with your thoughts!

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back