Welcome!
Thanks for visiting! Please leave us a comment as we love your feedback.
See where we are partying at the bottom and on the sidebar.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Candy Corn Countdown Tutorial

My obsession with candy corn continues!  The other night (when I should be sleeping), I had the idea of using up my leftover felt and making a candy corn decoration.  Don't ask me why I had leftover white, yellow and orange felt.  I am sure I had some craft in mind when I bought it, but since then I have forgotten it.  Doing a countdown where my kids could move something to the next day would be fun and festive.

Let me share how I made this cute hanging countdown.



This was very simple to make and since I had everything on hand it was a perfect and inexpensive craft to do!

Warning:  There was lots of eating of candy corn in the making of this countdown!  I had to know what they looked like, right?

Here is what you will need:
1/2 yard of yellow felt
3/4 yard of orange felt
1/4 yard of white felt
1/4 yard of black felt
Yellow flocked heat transfer vinyl (or another form of numbers)
Thread
Sewing Machine

Start with your felt.  Since candy corn begins with the yellow, I grabbed that and cut about a 22 to 24 inch square out.  
Then I shaped it with a slight curve on the edges and slight line across the top.
Measure your orange to meet about midway or 3/4 of the way down the yellow.  Mine measured about 20 to 22 inches across.  
I cut the sides of the orange so that it would go down towards a point.
Add your white towards the bottom of your orange, leaving some overlap.  My white piece was about 10 to 12 inches across.  Shape the rest of the white to a curved point.
Flip up your white piece as shown above.
Pin the white felt to your orange.  Sew along the straight edge 1/4 of an inch in.
Flip down the white and sew along the orange edge to secure the white felt flat against the orange felt. Trim any excess orange felt.
The front of your candy corn will look like this now.
Now reposition your orange felt on the yellow.
Flip it up on the yellow and pin.  Sew along the orange edge 1/4 inch in.
Flip it down and sew along the yellow edge, 1/4 inch in.  Trim any excess yellow felt.
Now your candy corn is fully sewn.  If you just want a candy corn decoration without numbers, you can stop here.  If not, let's continue.
Cut 31 squares out of black felt.  My squares were 1.5 inches.  I used my new pinking shears on all the edges.  (Sorry Mom, your antique pinking shears lost their sharpness.  I could not believe how much easier it was to use brand new and sharp pinking shears.  Woohoo!)  
I cut numbers out on my Silhouette using up some yellow flocked heat transfer that I got when I bought my machine.  You place the number on the felt with the plastic backing still adhered.







Cover with a scrap piece of fabric and allow your iron to press it for a few minutes.
Peel the plastic backing off and then press again with fabric on top to ensure that the numbers have adhered.
Organize your numbers on your countdown and pin down. (Sorry, it is hard to see the pins on this picture).  Then sew down the left side, bottom and right side.  Leave the top open.
I made a mini-candy corn to put in each pocket following the same decorations as the large one.
That's it.  A finished candy corn countdown.  I hope that you find the tutorial helpful.  It truly is easy to make and a festive decoration.

Off to eat some more candy corn!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We read every comment and try to respond back if we can. Thank you for making us feel special with your thoughts!

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back