Welcome!
Thanks for visiting! Please leave us a comment as we love your feedback.
See where we are partying at the bottom and on the sidebar.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Crock Pot Pear Butter

Recently, my house has smelled wonderfully of Fall, twice!  I had Pear Butter (much like Apple Butter) cooking away in the crock pot.

Shannon and I are members of a produce co-op.  Lately we've had an abundance, wait over abundance of pears.  Our family couldn't possibly eat all the pears that we've gotten!  That made me start thinking of what I could do with all these pears.  I perused some apple butter recipes and came up with my own version.  I hope you enjoy this recipe!




This is very easy to make and requires very little leg work.  The most time consuming part of making this is peeling and coring the pears.  On to the recipe and tutorial... (full recipe below)

Grab your pears!  I had a ton more than this, but I had already started peeling and cutting before I shot a picture.  Peel all your pears and slice them in half.

Take a melon baller and easily swipe the seeds and woodsy part of the pear.  The melon baller really makes easy work of this part.

Chop the pears in somewhat uniform sizes for even cooking, but really this is a no fail recipe.

Pour your pears in the crock pot.  Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh or in the bottle, I know tsk tsk!), 1.5 cups white sugar, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (this can be strong and make it a bit spicy, feel free to eliminate if you don't prefer the taste) to pears.  Stir well.

Cook on High for 1 hour.  Then cook on low for 10 to 12 hours.  I did mine overnight.  A great smell to wake up to. Occasionally stir if you have a chance, but it isn't a must.

This is what mine looked like in the morning.  You can see from the sides how much the volume of the pears went down.  It also got a nice molasses color.  If you like a real chunky texture, you can stop here.  

I poured the contents of the crock pot into my blender and blended it to a smooth consistency.

That's it.  Simple, easy, delicious.  My family gobbled this up, thankfully, I have more in the refrigerator. You can keep it in the refrigerator or for a longer term fix, you might want to can it in small jars.  I plan to do this for Ryan's teacher as a little gift.

Pear Butter Recipe
8 cups pears, peeled and cored
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1.5 cups sugar
3/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Peel all your pears and slice them in half. Take a melon baller and easily swipe the seeds and woodsy part of the pear.  Chop the pears in somewhat uniform sizes for even cooking, but really this is a no fail recipe. Pour your pears in the crock pot.  Add lemon juice, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg (this can be strong and make it a bit spicy, feel free to eliminate if you don't prefer the taste) to pears.  Stir well. 

 Cook on High for 1 hour.  Then cook on low for 10 to 12 hours. Occasionally stir if you have a chance, but it isn't a must.  If you like a real chunky texture, you can stop here.  I poured the contents of the crock pot into my blender and blended it to a smooth consistency. You can keep it in the refrigerator or for a longer term fix, you might want to can it in small jars.


For those of you who knew I was making this, I am sorry for the long wait on the recipe!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! We read every comment and try to respond back if we can. Thank you for making us feel special with your thoughts!

Ebates Coupons and Cash Back